
The iris patch was planted by the previous owners of our house, so I don't know much about them. Only that in the nearly four years under my guardianship, they bloom for several weeks starting in April and into May. The blue petals sway atop their tall stalks for a while, then flop to the ground under their own weight. By Mothers' Day, a few weary but still beautiful blooms remain, defining what it means to "grow old gracefully."
One year it was time to divide the rhizomes, but even after I got rid of the soft rot and borer damamage, I had way too many to put back in the same spot. I started another iris patch and gave the rest away. They needed a year to recover before returning to their usual blooming pattern, but a few did bloom and I had a lovely section of lush green (until I gave them a crew cut).
This year, they were back on track--sort of. All blue, all these years, and now this yellow version. I can't explain it, but I think it's nifty.

No comments:
Post a Comment