There's been quite the drama around here this weekend. Katie ate something she found in a bush during our walk Saturday afternoon and by bedtime she was clearly not well.
In fact, she was stoned.
Her pupils were huge, she flinched in fear everytime my hands got near her, and she seemed to not really have control over her hind legs. I took her to the vet, where she stayed the night under observation. I guess that's vet-speak for "this dog needs to detox."
By morning the vet reported that Katie had the shakes, but they wanted to watch her more. Then, a few hours later they wanted me to look at her to compare her behavior to last nights', so I drove down.
Apparently, she had been shaking so much that they gave her Valium! When I saw her, she was in last-call-at-the-Alibi mode. Boy is that alarming! Despite that though, she was much MUCH better than last night--except for the staggering, she was herself again. But the staggering was an issue; she was essentially a real hazzard to herself, tripping over her own nose and listing one way, then over-correcting and toppling over the other way. Pitiful? Amusing? Not sure what side I come down on there. Plus, since she was unsteady when I brought her in, it was important to see her moving when the Valium had worn off, to make sure she really was stable again.
So I was to come back in three hours, except that they called after 2.5 and said she seemed fine and since she was making such a fuss could I come get her sooner? She created a scene in the lobby when I arrived, just absolutely wiggling and desperate to get home. Now that she's here, she's terrorized the cats, eaten her dinner and tried to eat the cats' too, run circles around everything, and now lies zonked out in the middle of the dirty laundry. I was supposed to wait 40 mins to take off the IV bandage wrapped around her foot, but she was tearing at that thing even as she pranced from the car to the front door. She's acting incredibly hyper and silly, which is sort of cute and a relief after last night's scare. So all is well! Except for the second job Mr. Hands and I are going to have to get to pay for all of this.


They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said, NOOO, NOOO, NO!
ReplyDelete:)