Wednesday, April 15, 2009

April 15

My nephew told me earnestly this past weekend, "You can't pick the orange ones. It's against the law." I remember as a child believing this rule about the state flower and feeling like I was imparting Important Information to adults when announcing it as fact. I think this childhood rumor is a rite of passage for California kids, but thanks to Wikipedia I am assured "A common misconception associated with the plant, because of its status as a state flower, is that the cutting or damaging of the California poppy is illegal. There is no such law..." I don't think I'll let my nephew in on this; that would be on par with messing with the tooth fairy. The flowers are pretty enough staying put in the ground anyway.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Very pretty! We were also told never to pick the state flower, the bluebonnet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you know, I didn't know until very recently that it wasn't true! How gullible am I as a CA native?

    I so want to plant a ton of these in our garden. Maybe next year -man they ar gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete