Five years ago, we asked my-father-in-law to give our child a middle name.
For several months, I wondered if we would give my father the same responsibility.
Today was the final day of his radiation treatment. There were hugs and well-wishes from his treatment staff all around. They presented him with a certificate and a rubber bracelet. They said they looked forward to seeing him for his follow-up in 3 months. My mother and I took pictures of him in front of the radiation machine while he comfortingly and predictably explained how it worked. He rang a gong. It was LOUD. He seemed emotional (misty-eyed--probably one of a handful of times (as in ONE hand) I can remember him being misty-eyed in my 40-year life time--and that's not to say that I have even scratched the surface of this man's emotional life), and appreciative and glad. My mother and I were also given rubber bracelets. Then we three went to lunch where we celebrated with (seriously) amazing margaritas and south-of-the-border food.
No comments:
Post a Comment