Saturday, March 03, 2007

Get Your Grub On

 


As I emptied the soil from my pots to my wheelbarrow, I found these guys. I find them every year, and they always creep me out because I forget they're in there, waiting. Also, it's their sheer numbers--unending handfulls of these transparent-ish grubs. The body is milky, and they have legs but they seem to move more by wiggling, rolling and burrowing. Their heads are orange and the tail end is dark.

This year I'm determined to find out what they are (or maybe more importantly, what they will become).

Any ideas?
Posted by Picasa






UPDATE: An internet search on info about these tells me that it's probably a June bug, a type of scarab beetle (Phyllophaga), and as grubs don't do much damage (although they maybe can eat tiny root hairs, it seemed debated), but as adult beetles are a problem for lawns. Unless, of course, this is actually a Japanese beetle, whose appetite for my garden is so voracious I may as well throw down the trowel and pave over the whole thing.

UPDATE, PART 2: Except that June bug grubs (and Japanese beetle grubs, too, for that matter) have six legs, and my Mystery grub has four (I think). Hmmm...

4 comments:

  1. I haven't a clue Shane. Hope you find out soon!
    I've been enjoying catching up with your blog posts! So glad you're writing more often now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christine! I do like keeping up with posts, and I'm glad you're enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me either, but hopefully the won`t hurt your garden. Ew...they ARE ugly though! I wonder what I`ll be finding if ever the snow goes away.

    tea
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:06 AM PDT

    Why don't you feed the birds with those little critters?
    Unless of course your birds are vegans.
    Frank O.

    ReplyDelete