Thursday, March 29, 2007

Trying to Get a Handle on the Hostas


I'm just thrilled to see these hostas emerging from their bare root beginnings. Gosh, they even seem to be thriving! This is my first hosta experiment, and I guess I always felt a little snobby about them. They seem to be the last resort plant for impossibly shady corners. Well, guess what? I have an impossibly shady corner. Only, it's not always shady, and I can't seem to get the hang of what's going on there.

The heliotropes did dismally last year but the azaleas did great. So I added two azaleas, but now the spot seems too sunny. I've started covering one azalea (my star performer last year) with a shade cloth during the day. Maybe later in the season when the birch tree leafs-out there will be more protection. My sun journal where I track the amount of sun in different areas in my yard isn't helping. I think I need to track more often so I have an early season and a mid-season picture of what's going on light-wise. Also, I haven't been tracking temperature, so cool-shade versus warm-shade may be more of an issue than light.

Either way, I hope these hostas make it.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you're checking for slugs and snails, Shane. They loooove hostas. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete