Friday, April 20, 2007

They live here, I just visit

With bee colonies disappearing, I feel lucky to have this visitor to the lemon tree.


While I was stalking the bee, I spied this less welcome visitor. Still, it's beautiful perched here, so high in this thorny tree.

I uncovered a whole salamander colony when I relocated some wooden planters. This was one of the littlest ones...

...and this is one of the biggest ones. I discovered several of these large spotted ones. Pausing only long enough for me to admire it's spots and snap a picture, it vanished with its companions under the iris patch.

First I thought this was a centipede, but I learned on What's That Bug that they have only one pair of legs per body segment, therefore this is a millipede because there are two pairs of legs per segment. According to the site, millipedes sometimes eat seedlings, but mostly eat decaying matter and help break down debris. So, carry on millipede, but stay away from my seedlings, okay?

2 comments:

  1. Love these critter photos Shane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Christine! I love to take their pictures, but most of the time they're too swift for me!

    ReplyDelete