Monday, March 25, 2013

Right Now


Outside my windows: Construction, radish sprouts, and pear blossom petals.

I am thankful: that with the time change and the changing seasons, sunlight is returning through the downstairs windows and to the corners of my backyard. 

I am going: to spend Easter at my mother-in-law's home, and it will be the first Easter the nephews feel too old to hunt eggs. Mr. Hands is miserable about this. 

I am wearing: patched jeans, a maroon blouse, and grey shoes.


I am reading: Island of the Sequined Love Nun, Christopher Moore; Home, Toni Morrison; Speaking from among the Bones: A Flavia de Luce Novel, Alan Bradley.  

I am thinking: about the stories behind possessions. How we turn things into Meaningful and Important things when the story of how they're acquired includes Meaningful and Important people or Meaningful and Important events. This is both endearing and overwhelming. 

I am looking forward to: an upcoming quilting class. Excited to be starting a new project and learning some new things (hello, flying geese!).

I am working on: Finishing these quilts, this alphabet, and a couple of scrapbook pages about the time I ran away to North Carolina for a wintery month in 1998. 


I need: to find a balance between solitude and community. Last year I worked on my "outreach," so to speak. This year, I've let it slide. I wonder if I'm preparing for adding a third member to our family, and the lack of solitude I'll have for years to come. On the other hand, I think I binge on solitude, and perhaps I should be practicing my relationship building.

I want: to figure out what I'm going to do with my hair. It could use some attention.

I am listening to: "My Young Man," by Esme Patterson and the Feist Channel at Pandora Radio.

Around the house: Grumpy cats, outlets sprouting bulbous "Feliway" diffusers, a wet spot on the stairs (the new carpet, darn you, adorable but infuriating beasts!).  

Something new: A bed for a kid. Love it love it love it.

A favorite: we've been going through our closets, drawers, and the cedar trunk, reacquainting ourselves with our heirloom quilts and blankets. It's time to shake them out and put them to use! I believe nobody who made them for us wanted them tucked away in a shrine. I believe this because I would be delighted to see a quilt I gifted in absolute dingy tatters from use. I hope I'm right, but cats, stay away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment