Monday, September 16, 2013

Lately

Outside my windows: construction. the land across the street is now completely divorced from its former orchard-existence. lots are marked out. framing is going up. a sales office complete with parking lot, landscaping, and flags has been plopped down. the lane has been widened (mostly) and is adorned with speed bumps. a sidewalk is being prepped. a driveway that wasn't supposed to be there is most certainly there. traffic cones cause cars to weave down my street. sandwich boards announce parking restrictions. trucks of all shapes and sizes move stuff around. people in orange vests (mostly men) do stuff. Little Hands is fascinated. Truthfully, I am a little bit, too. 

I am thankful: Katie-dog's re-entry to our home and family has been smooth. She's a marvel. 

I am wearing: uncharacteristically for me these days: jeans, a camisole, and a short-sleeved kimono-sleeved black cardigan characteristically for me these days: a blue, quilted, zippered pouch that holds my iPhone.  


I am reading: Tell the Wolves I am Home, by Carol Rifka Brunt. I chose it because of the title and because of the blurb on the back and because the author's middle name is Rifka. 

I am looking forward to: 

I am working on:  a set of ragged letters for a friend. And in the planning (and supply-purchasing) stage for Little Hands' Halloween costume. 

I need:

I want: to do more with the free time I have. I'd like to finish the napkin quilt. I'd like to start the half-square triangle quilt. I'd like to make the jelly-roll pillows. I'd like to convert the bustle skirts into A-line skirts. I'd like to deal with the giant pile of teaching supplies I stashed and ignored in the garage (no, I don't want to do this--what I want is to reclaim that space and have a tidy garage without a lot of skeletons and bitter memories, and without having to confront any demons to get it.) 

I am listening to: lots and lots of music on Comcast cable: Toddler Tunes, top 40 (thank you, Mr. Hands), classic rock, stage and screen, 80s, golden oldies. Little Hands loves music--she nods her head, waves her arms, steps her feet, claps, wiggles her body--it's clear music moves her. 

Around the house: a new frame for our mattress.

Something new: we've been using Gobble, a dinner delivery service, for a week. It's definitely been very relaxing to not have to figure out dinner on Gobble nights. But it's an indulgence, for sure.

A favorite: all the babble coming from Little Hands these days. She's picking up words: ma & mama. da. ca or teh (cat). duh (dog?). The signs she uses: eat, more, and all done. She's not acquiring any more signs. We probably need to be more intensive and intentional about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment