The Queen Mary II cruise ship ventured into the San Francisco Bay today, which is apparently such a Magnificent Event that everyone in the Entire Bay Area, heck, the Entire State of California seems like, drove to the Golden Gate Bridge to see it. Well. It was a cruise ship, yep it was. I'm just saying in case someone else, other than me, got scared off by the 90 minute traffic to cross the GGB and didn't get to see it. Ok, sure it is a REALLY BIG cruise ship, but standard cruise ship shape all the same.
By the way, I was not amused by radio and 511 phone announcments indicating that this event would take place and--get this--alternate routes are encouraged. I think that the whole point behind the GGB, AND it's $5.00 toll, is that there IS no alternate route between Marin and San Francisco. Once more tsk for you DOT folks, I'm a fairly well-informed person, and radio and 511 phone announcements the afternoon of such craziness do not constitute advanced notice.
Granted, today was a thrillingly beautiful day. The sail boats and Cessna planes were out dotting the waters and horizons like a flotilla of confetti. It sure felt like an Event. The traffic was so slow that cars crept along at about grass-growing rate, but the weird thing was I didn't see Fury in the eyes of my fellow road companions. Most of them were hanging out their car windows, craning over the median fence to get shots of the Madness and Mayhem on the water with their cell phone cameras. And several passengers were standing up out of sunroofs with video cameras. Gosh, I haven't see that since traveling to Bon Jovi concerts in the 80s.
So, sail on, Queen Mary II, sail on. But don't mess up my Sunday commute again, got that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
OH NO! :(
ReplyDeleteSail on Queen Mary II is right!!!!
Well, at least you had all your namimals at home to console you!
Mr. Hands