Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Feb 3

Lemons are winter's zucchini. For weeks we've enjoyed an embarrassing abundance of lemons from our tree. We've shared with our neighbors, coworkers, family and friends. A sack of citrus is a door prize for all who enter our home. We hardly cook anything that doesn't call for some form of lemon as an ingredient: juice or zest, preferably both. Combing through cookbooks looking for more inspiration, I came across an intriguing ingredient in Mediterranean and North African dishes I had not heard of: preserved lemons. Making them is so simple, though it requires a shocking amount of salt for the pickling process. That's what I'm doing in this photo, and I am enjoying myself though it doesn't look it!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:31 AM PST

    we're looking forward to tasting the results of your research, especially with preserved lemons. New condiment to me. Did you get the email from Kitchens on Fire? Love, Mom & Dad

    I'll send you some photos of the current project - replacing the refrigeration insulation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute photo - love the lemon isolated like that!

    ReplyDelete