So, I've been thinking a lot about the animal world today.
...he heard very sorrowful voices in a thorn-bush. It was Darzee, the Tailorbird, and his wife. They had made a beautiful nest by pulling two big leaves together and stitching them up the edges with fibers, and had filled the hollow with cotton and downy fluff. The nest swayed to and fro, as they sat on the rim and cried. "What is the matter?" asked Rikki-tikki. "We are very miserable," said Darzee. "One of our babies fell out of the nest yesterday and Nag ate him."Rudyard Kipling wrote "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi," a story about a mongoose who defeats a pair of cobras who tyrannically rule over a garden. Right there in this garden, nature plays out just like in suburbs and cities: grief, outrage, duty, cowardice, courage... It's comforting to think it works this way.
But today, I know better.
Oh Shane, that is so sad. I'm so partial to birds these days. Hopefully the parents will build higher next time.
ReplyDelete