
Though perhaps odd to show pictures of a tomato on the vine after I've already published pictures of the same tomato sliced on a plate, I can't resist putting this beauty on display one more time. It's my First Tomato of the Season, so I'm a bit biased. And this is certanly a knee-jerk reation after last summer when my One Tomato looked as if it was all I was going to get for so long!
So this is Stupice, a variety I've never heard of, much less grown. Can one still say it's from Czechoslovakia? Whether one can or no, that's how it's listed by many growers. It's growth is vigorous; in fact, it's already taller than the supports I gave it, so I've just been draping the stalks back and forth over the trellis. The fruit shapes are amazing--most are regular and round, but some are very oblong and strange. It hardly seems fair to pass judgement after sampling only one fruit, but here goes. I need to borrow from Mr. Hands' vocabulary to describe my impression: "Meh."
But I'm willing to over-look a lot if I get to eat a homegrown tomato on June 10!
No comments:
Post a Comment