Thursday, August 17, 2006

Lavender Shortbread

On a previous birthday, several years ago, my mom gave me a precious gift. She asked family and friends to contribute their favorite recipes, and she collected them in a book for me. It's an incredible source of family lore and history, as many recipes are annotated with stories and information about the cooks who loved them and the situations under which these dishes were brought to life. It's also fun to think about how the recipes suit the person who gave them. Sometimes this is obvious, and sometimes it is surprising.

One of my mom's recipes included in my collection is for Lavender Shortbread. My mom plans to turn her garden into a slice of Provence by planting masses of lavender, interrupted only by occasional bursts of sage. So this is a recipe perfectly matched with her. Before this recipe, I never even dreamed of cooking with lavender. Since, I've learned the hard way to be careful with putting lavender in food--it's very easy for your meal to taste like a bar of soap. I'm not much of a shortbread fan, I have to say. But there's something about the simplicity and novelty of this recipe that I love. And, of course, it's in my Book.

This year for my birthday, she gave me a rock garden. She found rock garden plants and felt they had a perfect spot in my garden. She's spontaneous like this, and thoughtful. I admit, I was doubtful at first, but she was right (hey, I can say it now!) Among the darling little succulents with names like Fox Ears and Jelly Bean Bear were two different varieties of Elephant Plant. Anyone could mistake a ' for '' (feet for inches) and as a result I own two plants grown around African villages to keep pachyderms out. Sometimes, says the information tag, the elephants manage to break through. So if anyone is having elephant problems, let me know. I have just the plant!

We also spent a day together at the Legion of Honor and the De Young to view the Quilts of Gee's Bend, Cheech Marin's Chicano Visions, and Monet in Normandy exhibits. My favorite is the Chicano Visions. It's an astonishing collection, put together incredibly thoughtfully. My emotional responses ran the whole gamut, which is what you want in an art exhibit. My mom knows how to give the kind of birthday treasure that make my life wider and better. Thank you, Mom!

Lavender Shortbread
1 cup flour
2 tablespoons white rice flour or cornstarch
1 tablespoon dried lavender flowers (English or French, preferably)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/4 cup sugar, plus sugar for decorating
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla

Adjust a rack in the lower third of oven; preheat to 325. Combine the flours, lavender and salt in a bowl; mix with a fork to blend. Mix the butter with 1/4 cup sugar until well blended, then add flavorings and then dry ingredients. Mix until just incorporated. Press with fingertips into a 9 inch quiche pan and score eight or twelve wedges with the tines of a fork. Dip the tines in water often to prevent sticking. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake until shortbread appears set when lightly touched, about 25 minutes. Cool for 10 mins, then cut into wedges. When completely cool, lift wedges out of pan with a metal spatula.

This shortbread is best served with other things than snacked on unaccompanied. It's terrific with fresh berries and whipped cream.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:59 PM PDT

    You are very welcome. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete