Saturday, July 29, 2006

Katie: She's the happy kind of dog


People at the coffee shop, the dog park, on our walking route, everywhere, want to know: What is she? What kind of breed?

The rescue group guessed corgi (could be) and chihuahua (definitely, just hear her bark!), but I suspect also terrier. There have been some wild and exotic theories floated, and I admit to browsing through our coffee table tome of breeds, noticing those paws and these eyes, that back and this tail. I can't piece together a reasonable genealogy!

But here's the conundrum: all this feels a little bit creepy--I did not bring this dog into my family to be a name brand! We specifically sought out a pound dog, and who cares what she or any dog "is"? On the other hand, it's intriguing and fun to think about, just the way I wondered about my family tree and traveled to England and Romania to visit cemeteries and old houses. Roots are powerful for people, and our fascination and need to understand them doesn't stop with us, it carries over into our dogs. (Nobody ever asked me what breed my cats are!)

Here is my dog, the mystery dog. She's the happy kind of dog.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shane Marie :)
    My Mum had Welsh Corgies and she looks like one (your puppy, not my Mum). She`s a sweety. Thanks for visiting my blog. I`m going to read yours after work today, it looks interesting.
    xo

    ReplyDelete